Just back from another great visit to Newport Beach, CA! Here are my top adventures for you to explore and enjoy when you visit:
1) Newport Aquatic Center – Ever wanted to learn to flat-water canoe or kayak? What about the hot new sport of SUP? How about try an outrigger canoe or rowing? This is your place! NAC has been offering the public unique paddling opportunities since 1987 and has had a number of Olympians train at this facility. Check out the complete list of their on-going activities here.
2) Sport fishing – With easy access to some incredible fishing, check out the docks for the best trips. Newport Landing Sportfishing has a full line up of trips and adventures for the beginner to the old sea salts.
3) Biking on the Board Walk – Many places rent bikes if you don’t have your own. This is a great way to enjoy your own time on the beach and at the piers along the way. There are lots of places to stop and grab a bite or drink at the piers. You can also rent Segways if you are comfortable with riding these.
4) Surfing – Well, after all, it IS Southern California! Main Street Surf Shop has got the goods for the equipment you need. And, looking for instruction if you are new to the sport is simple. Try Newport Surf School or Newport Beach Surfing Lessons for learning or sharpening up your skills.
5) Hiking – Our favorites were the plentiful trails at Crystal Cove State Park just south of Newport Beach. Fantastic view with differing levels of difficulties for all levels of hikers. The ocean views and wildlife are great, but the sunset views over the Pacific are fantastic!
6) Catalina Island Whale Watching – This full day trip has significant opportunities for whale watching and other animals, as well as stopping off at Catalina Island for some on-shore activities. Leaving at 8 am and returning around 6 pm, it is a full day on the water with lots to see.
There are many other things we did not get to and hope to on a return visit in April. Let us know what we need to do on the next visit! Tell us what you like to do.